Search This Blog

Theme images by MichaelJay. Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

About Me

Like: Play computer games like The Sims 2 and Simcity 4. Also love Surfing the internet to look at comics and news about The Sims 2. My favourite comic is Archie and Garfield. Also like playing my nintendo DS and my Wii :) I also like to be with a silly girl name QZ... don't dare to say her name. Another one is a nice and sweet girl name YZ. Last but not least, a samll boy, name DK. Sorry I can't say their names yet until I asked permission from them. Dislike: My bad tempered,stupid sister name Jade. Some of the things I really reallly really hate doing are like going to chinatown, because I hate old fashion things! It's time to look foward and not go back to the past where there are all these wet market and the place i hate most in my life is hawker centers........:( Those people who go there have no taste! I only like very clean food courts like the ones in shopping malls.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Formal Introduction Email

Dear Mr. Brad Blackstone,

My name is Keith Chong. I am an undergraduate student at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) studying towards my bachelor’s degree in telematics. I graduated in the year 2014 with a diploma in information technology at Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP), specializing in social media analytics. While pursuing my diploma in NYP, I was given the opportunity (during one of my computer lab sessions for the module to explore emerging technologies in the ICT field) to explore upcoming technological trends in the field of ICT.

My curiosity was piqued when articles related to autonomous vehicle technology surfaced, which kept my project team members captivated till the end of our lab session. Fascinated about this subject, my team and I chose this topic as our topic of choice for our final presentation. The time spent researching this field cemented our understanding on this subject whilst providing us better appreciation of both the ICT and automotive industry. This has consequently fueled my interest to pursue higher education in autonomous technology and affirmed my decision to pursue a degree in the fields of telematics and be part of the SIT family.

Pertaining to my communications skills, I have found report writing to be the lesser of two evils when compared to my presentation skills. I admit that I have many areas for improvement, most notably on areas involving public speaking, and I hope to cultivate and strengthen my soft skills in communication while reinforcing my technical report writing skills during our classes.

Being able to learn your guidance will be a tremendous learning experience for me. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time and I look forward to our next technical communications lesson.


Yours sincerely,

Keith Chong
TLM1010 Tutorial Group 3


Initial Draft: 21 September 2017
First Revision: 05 October 2017

9 comments:
Write comments
  1. On the overall, the structure of the formal letter was cohesive and the main ideas were aptly segregated in paragraphs. The self-introduction content was concise yet brief and elaborated sufficiently on the scope of topic as stipulated. A slight suggestion for this letter would be proof-reading before submission as the last paragraph contained a few grammatical lapses; one of which had completely tweaked the meaning of the sentence.

    Henry Tan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Henry,

      Thank you for highlighting the erroneous line as well as your thoughtful response. Will keep your feedback in mind.

      Best regards,
      Keith Chong

      Delete
  2. Dear Keith Chong,
    I am glad that you are interested in autonomous vehicle. There are many interesting things about it and I believe you will be able to achieve what you are aiming.
    I agree that you are soft in your communication skills, however you will be able to overcome it with the helps of the professors and classmates during your journey here.
    Regards,
    Kelvert Foo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelvert,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. Appreciate your feedback and I hope to work closely with you and our classmates to help everyone overcome their communication barriers over the next few years in SIT.

      Best regards,
      Keith Chong

      Delete
  3. Dear Keith,

    Your choice of words and vocabularies are good! Your writing skills is definitely one that I would like to learn from. It is great how you have a huge interest in the autonomous technology. I believe that you will certainly achieve your goals at the end of this module.

    Regards,
    Shu Ting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shu Ting,

      Thank you for taking your time to read through my letter. Appreciate your comments.

      Best regards,
      Keith Chong

      Delete
  4. Dear Keith,

    Thank you for this clear and concise yet detailed letter. We learn something in it about your previous engineering experience, both in terms of general study and project work.

    From this intro it is clear to me that you will have a lot to offer your coursemates. I also can sense that you can be of assistance to many of your classmates when it comes to insights on language use. In fact, though you also describe well your communication skills and perceived challenges, I have little doubt from what I have seen so far that you will thrive in our learning environment and that the challenges will fall to the side thanks to your talents and effort.

    In terms of your language use, yours is not just a fluent letter but one that shows great command of phrase and sentence structure.

    I look forward to working with you this term and reading more of your writing.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two minor language issues:
      1) Our research conducted >>> (verb form)
      2) take you for your time >>> ?

      Delete
    2. Hi Brad,

      Thank you for your response and feedback. Your words are really inspiring and motivating. Your comments will be duly noted. I look forward to your further support and guidance.

      Best regards,
      Keith Chong

      Delete